יום שני, 5 בינואר 2009

My Adulthood


How did I meet Saba? Saba was visiting his sister in Hudson,NY. At the time Saba was living in NY city. Saba asked his sister's neighbor whether she knew anyone his age in NY. The neighbor gave Saba Savta's phone number and he called her when he got back to NY, and they got engaged shortly after.
I got married in Brooklyn in Temple Ahavat Shalom and there were 150 people there. I wore a white long dress with a veil. Aunt Gloria was matron of honor. Cousin Claire was maid of honor. It rained and snowed on that.

I was 23 when Sima, your mother, was born and I stopped teaching to take care of her. When I was 25 Uncle Dave was born, and 29 when Aunt Risa was born. I never went back to teaching after that.

We lived in an apartment in Brooklyn, and when Sima was 6 months old we moved to Syracuse. When she was a bit older we moved to a house in Dewitt where David and Risa were born. When Sima was 6 years old we moved to Cazenovia, where we had built a big house on Cazenovia lake.

During these years I didn't work although I did a lot of volunteer work for organizations such as Haddassah, and for causes such as women's right to choose to have an abortion. In Cazenovia we were the only Jews and there was quite a lot of antisemitism, so after 6 years we left and moved to a house in DeWitt.

After Sima, David and Risa left the house Saba and I ran a business card printing shop together which was hard work. After we sold that I worked as an assistant to a New York State Senator named Nancy Lorraine Hoffman.

10 years ago Saba and I bought a house in Florida and started spending winters in Florida where it is nice and warm instead of the cold and snowy weather we were used to in Syracuse. We eventually left Syracuse completely and now only have a house in Florida. Here I don't work, but I enjoy spending time with my friends. I like to play mah jong, and to shop and go to restaurants.

אין תגובות:

הוסף רשומת תגובה